Saturday, March 3, 2007

Porcine Fornication

No need to worry, I'm still alive and kicking. This is a day late due to technical difficulties which pretty much sums up Friday, but look pictures!

First, here is the view I wish I could enjoy more of from my "office" in Peoria.But here is really what I spend more time staring at...On to the fun that was Friday. Things started on a strange note when I awoke and was convinced after a particularly vivid dream that Jimmy and Ali were married. It took 20 minutes and a cold shower to finally realize it wasn't true. If only I knew the fun to follow. Upon arriving at the ballpark I was hassled by "the man" or as is the case in Arizona "the old man". Apparently my Gatorade was contraband but Dan's bottled water was ok. Yeah, made sense to me too.

After talking to Dave Niehaus in his sweet fishing hat I basically sat around for a couple hours waiting for "talent" to do something. Anything, really. Slowly things trickled in at a snails pace. Being the only damn editor, I was slammed. So we rushed through segments 2 and 3, then things got interesting.

Midway through the first segment a tape got stuck in the playback deck rendering the John Jacobson Memorial Edit Suite temporarily out of order with about 8 edits in the 1st segment left and the entire 4th segment. So we placed a call to Rich Hoyt, his first response "oh, that's not good", how Curt refrained from launching into a profanity laced tirade I'll never know. After using the typical engineering solution (turn it off and try again) to no avail, we rigged up another deck to the editor. So if you refer to the edit suite picture, envision another deck laying to the side with wires all over the place to get video and audio into the record deck, or as Curt referred to it our "mickey mouse" editing solution. Best part of all, no control over the other deck meaning all the edits had to be crashed onto the master tape. Somehow we managed to bang out the end of the first segment. For the fourth segment we stole the one from the night before and fixed the audio. We sent Allard down to feed while we got segment times and ran them down 1 by 1. I got to run the final one, and as I left the room what happened? Of course the stuck tape ejected.

As we walked back up to our booth after just getting the feed out in our allotted time Curt turned to us and uttered "Now that was a 'Pig Fuck'!"

No comments: